A very special opportunity: discover the art of creating authentic hand-decorated marbled paper from the “mastro decoratore”, the specialized artisan in charge, at Il Papiro’s workshop one of the very last companies which still produce hand-decorated paper using techniques inspired by the use of traditional Tuscan methods.
Paper decorated with the marbling technique is truly unique, in fact the exceptional hues, nuances and designs which result cannot be obtained using any other decorative art.
Duration: 2 hours course (+ 20 minutes tranfers)
- Without Transfer Option: at Il papiro workshop, close to Florence - Via Di Scolivigne 56, int. 17, 50015, Grassina (you can get there from the city center by bus - line 31 from Piazza San Marco or Piazza di Grassina -; for small groups, it is also possible to set up pick up at Piazza Francia)
- With Transfer Option: Lungarno della Zecca, in front of Plaza Hotel Lucchesi (transfer by private chauffeur-driven Mercedes car or van)
Languages: Italian, English
Participants: minimum 2 people to be confirmed, maximum 7 per group. It may be possible for just one person to take the workshop, according to availability - however, in this case the full "2 people in group" - price will be charged.
- Introduction to the history and technique of marbling
- Lesson and hands-on class on paper marbling
- Use of all workshop’s equipment necessary and production of one sheet of marbled paper per each participant
- Lesson and hands-on class on books binding, and one bound book to take home
- Certificate of attendance on parchment paper
- Refreshments and snack
Optional: Transportation to workshop premises by Mercedes car or Van (20 minutes transfer time)
There will be no penalty for cancellations of excursion bookings communicated in writing to the organization at least two (2) days prior to the booked date.
For cancellations further cancellations, 50% of the fare will have to be paid.
No reimbursement will be granted to any client who is not at the place of meeting at the time established; similarly, no reimbursement will be granted to clients who do not complete the demonstration.
PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after submitting an order, you will receive an email with your order summary plus a second email confirming your successful payment. A confirmation email with links to the vouchers will be sent one business day after you place your order (Monday afternoon for orders submitted on Friday and during the weekend). Please make sure that your anti-spam filter does not block automatic emails from [email protected]
Introduction to the history and technique of marbling Lesson and hands-on class on paper marbling and bookbinding Use of all workshop equipment necessary and production of one sheet of marbled paper and one hand-bound book per each participant Certificate of attendance on parchment paper Refreshments and snack
Marbled Paper Making Workshop at Il Papiro
Il Papiro has been producing splendid hand-decorated paper as well as objects covered with it since 1976. Since the very beginning, Il Papiro's artisans have used the techniques and methods inspired by traditional Tuscan artisan-decorated paper. Come to Il Papiro’s fully equipped workshop (located in the Florentine hills just 20 minutes from the main city center) for a morning of “full immersion” into the magic realm of authentic Tuscan crafts.
The workshop’s mastro artigiano decoratore - the professional artisan in charge of hand-decorating – will lead you through this instructive, color-filled journey. Learn each phase of production of the precious and unique marbled paper and bookbinding, step by step, including the tricks of the trade.
Your experience begins with an introduction to the history and technique of marbling paper. Then, you'll follow your instructor’s expert directions and learn how to marble paper, as well as the basics of bookbinding. You’ll create your very own marbled paper sheet and book to take home. Can you think of a more special souvenir from Florence?
- Once a confirmation code has been assigned to the reservation we can refund the cost of unused tickets minus a service fee (reservation fee and online booking fee) up to 2 business days before the visit.
- No refund is possible for a cancellation less than 48 hours before the visit, and for no-shows.