On the Rome hills you will discover an historical treasure, made by wine and food.
Our private wine tour offers: English speaking expert guide in history of art, wine and cookery, a private minivan with driver and air conditioning, a lot of very interesting wine and food addresses.
Winery excursions may be scheduled for any date with two days advance notice.
We offer pickup service from your hotel/location.
- 9am Departure from your hotel in Rome by private minivan and English speaking guide
- 11am Visit to the Azienda Agricola Casale Marchese winery and wine testing
- 12:30pm Short guided visit of Frascati
- 1:30pm Lunch at Osteria Zaraza'
- 3pm Visit to the Azienda Agricola Colle Picchioni and wine tasting
- 6pm You are back to Rome
Day Trip (9am-6pm) includes: private air-conditioned minivan, guide in your language (English, French, German, Spanish, or Japanese), lunch, and wine tastings in 2 wineries.
- 100% refund for cancellations at least 15 days before the tour.
- 50% refund from 14 to 2 days before the tour.
- No refund for cancellations less than 2 days before scheduled tour, and for no shows.
PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after submitting an order, you will receive an email with your order summary plus a second email confirming your successful payment. A confirmation email with links to the vouchers will be sent one business day after you place your order (Monday afternoon for orders submitted on Friday and during the weekend). Please make sure that your anti-spam filter does not block automatic emails from [email protected]
The Roman Castles and Frascati Wine & Food Tour (Day Tour) | Weekend in Italy
Close to Rome, you'll discover an area that has been a refuge from the tremendous bustle of the city since early Roman times – the Castelli Romani. The verdant hills and volcanic lakes in the Colli Albani (Alban Hills) are home not only to architectural gems, but also to an agricultural richness reflected in the food and wine.
Your tour will take you to two different wineries for a visit and tasting. A short guided tour of Frascati and lunch at the famed yet informal Osteria Zarazà are also part of your day southeast of Rome. Delicious!
Discover this truly special corner of Italy with this private wine tour! An expert guide (knowledgeable in history of art, wine, and cooking) will introduce you to some of the best the Castelli Romani area has to offer.
Here are the details of your program:
- 9:00 am Departure from your location in Rome by private minivan, with your English speaking guide-driver. Your picturesque drive will take you in a southerly direction to the close-by Castelli Romani area in the Alban Hills.
- 11:00 am Visit to the Azienda Agricola Casale Marchese winery and wine tasting. Built over two Roman cisterns, Casale Marchese is known to exist as early as 1301. Much history has happened on this land, which lies in the famed Frascati D.O.C. area, overlooking some of the most beautiful views, where vineyards alternate with ancient olive groves. Nowadays the owner lives in one wing of the eighteenth century mansion while the other part is used for the winery operation, the processing of the well-known and appreciated wine – which you'll get to taste!
- 12:30 pm Short guided visit of Frascati. Probably founded in the 7th century, and first known as the small village "Frascata," Frascati lies on the slopes of a mountain, near the ruins of what is believed to be the Roman politician Lucullus's Villa. Thanks to Frascati's location, fertile volcanic soil, and closeness to Rome, many of the Roman noble families chose it as a summer refuge, and built their luxurious villas on the gentle hills.
- 1:30 pm Lunch at the famous, but informal Osteria Zarazà – where you'll enjoy all the goodness of the area as you taste the delicious local food and wine in a relaxed atmosphere.
- 3:00 pm Visit to the Azienda Agricola Colle Picchioni and wine tasting. Originally chosen as a weekend refuge from the busy life of a Roman industrialist, Colle Picchioni soon charmed the original owner Paola di Mauro – as did the challenge to create high quality wines. Since then, time has passed, and both Paola's son and grandson have followed suit, making famous wine – which you'll have a chance to taste for yourself.
- 6:00 pm Return to Rome
- 100% refund for cancellations at least 15 days before the tour
- 50% refund from 14 to 2 days before the tour
- No refund for further cancellations and no-shows