Discover the art of creating authentic hand-decorated marbled paper and bookbinding – learn from the mastro artigiano decoratore, the specialized artisan in charge at Il Papiro, one of the last companies still producing hand-decorated paper using traditional Tuscan methods. Paper decorated with the 17th century marbling technique is truly unique – in fact the exceptional hues, nuances, and designs cannot be obtained using any other decorative means.
Your experience includes a hands-on workshop during which you’ll learn how to marble paper and bind a book - you’ll create your very own marbled paper sheet and book to take home. Can you think of a more special souvenir from Florence?
- Availability: Tuesday.
- Start Time: 9.30am
- Duration: 2 hours course (+ 20 minutes transfers)
- Languages: Italian, English
- Participants: a minimum 2 people are needed for the workshop to be confirmed, maximum 7 per group. It may be possible for just one person to take the workshop, according to availability - however, in this case the full "2 people in group" - price will be charged.
How to get there:
- Without Transfer Option: directly at the Il Papiro workshop close to Florence, in Via Di Scolivigne 56, int. 17, 50015, Grassina. You can get there from the city center with bus line 31 from Piazza San Marco or Piazza di Grassina. For small groups it is also possible to arrange for complimentary pick up from Piazza Francia in Florence.
- With Transfer Option: Lungarno della Zecca, in front of Plaza Hotel Lucchesi (transfer by private chauffeur-driven Mercedes car or van)
Service price includes:
- Introduction to the history and technique of marbling
- Lesson and hands-on class on paper marbling and bookbinding
- Use of all workshop equipment necessary and production of one sheet of marbled paper and one hand-bound book per each participant
- Certificate of attendance on parchment paper
- Refreshments and snack
- Optional: Transportation to workshop premises by Mercedes car or Van (20 minutes transfer time)
Cancellation Policy: There will be no penalty for cancellations of excursion bookings communicated in writing at least two (2) days prior to the booked date. For further cancellations, 50% of the fee will be retained.
No reimbursement will be granted to any client who is not at the place of meeting at the time established; similarly, no reimbursement will be granted to clients who do not complete the demonstration.
Save time ordering: Add all tickets for museums and other services you want into your basket, then fill in the form and send your request.
PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after submitting an order, you will receive an email with your order summary plus a second email confirming your successful payment. A confirmation email with links to the vouchers will be sent one business day after you place your order (Monday afternoon for orders submitted on Friday and during the weekend). Please make sure that your anti-spam filter does not block automatic emails from [email protected]
Il Papiro has been producing splendid hand-decorated paper as well as objects covered with it since 1976. Since the very beginning, Il Papiro's artisans have used the techniques and methods inspired by traditional Tuscan artisan-decorated paper. Come to Il Papiro’s fully equipped workshop (located in the Florentine hills just 20 minutes from the main city center) for a morning of “full immersion” into the magic realm of authentic Tuscan crafts.
The workshop’s mastro artigiano decoratore - the professional artisan in charge of hand-decorating – will lead you through this instructive, color-filled journey. Learn each phase of production of the precious and unique marbled paper and bookbinding, step by step, including the tricks of the trade.
Your experience begins with an introduction to the history and technique of marbling paper. Then, you'll follow your instructor’s expert directions and learn how to marble paper, as well as the basics of bookbinding. You’ll create your very own marbled paper sheet and book to take home. Can you think of a more special souvenir from Florence?
Demonstration and workshop cost PER PERSON: € 71.37
Optional: Round trip Transfer Service from central Florence to the workshop in Grassina (20 minutes south of Florence)
1 – 7 people: €271.70 per group
Please Note: the Il Papiro workshop can also be reached with public transportation, with bus line 31 from Piazza San Marco or Piazza di Grassina.