With this day-long excursion, you’ll see the amphitheater of Capua (which probably served as the blueprint for the Colosseum, which is only slightly bigger!), the gladiator museum (Spartacus was sold to combat here as gladiator, and escaped to lead what became the Third Servile War), and the ancient Mithraic temple, one of the most important of its kind. After this excursion into the Ancient Roman era, it’ll be lunch time - which you can enjoy at a traditional restaurant. In the afternoon, your tour continues at the Royal Palace of Caserta, often likened to Versailles for its magnificent opulence.
- pick up at your hotel/accommodation or at the ports of Naples, Sorrento & Amalfi
- 2 hours guided tour at Capua (Amphitheater, Museum and Mitreo)
- stop for lunch in a traditional restaurant
- 2 hours guided tour of the Royal Palace of Caserta
- return to your hotel/accommodation or to the ports of Naples, Sorrento & Amalfi
Duration: 8 hours
Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Portuguese
Included in the price:
- Full-day transportation with Mercedes and driver (pick up and drop off at your accommodation)
- admission fees (Royal Palace Apartments € 9.00, Park and Garden € 3.00; Amphitheater of Capua and Museum of the Gladiators € 2,50)
- personal extras
Reservations must be made at least 3 days in advance.
- For cancellations more than 14 days before date of the requested service: 100% refund
- For cancellations from 13 to 72 hours before the date and time of the requested service: 80% refund
- For cancellations less than 72 hours and no show: No refund possible.
- If you are a passenger on a cruise ship that due to rough sea conditions does not arrive in port or lands very late, there will be a 100% refund.
Save time ordering! Add all the museum tickets you want to your basket, then fill in the form and send your request. Before placing your reservation, please read the ordering information carefully.
PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after submitting an order, you will receive an email with your order summary plus a second email confirming your successful payment. A confirmation email with links to the vouchers will be sent one business day after you place your order (Monday afternoon for orders submitted on Friday and during the weekend). Please make sure that your anti-spam filter does not block automatic emails from [email protected]
Your day-long excursion begins in the ancient town of the original Capua (now Santa Maria Capua Vetere), where you’ll see the famous amphitheater, built around the 1st century AD. It probably served as blueprint for the Colosseum, which is only slightly bigger. Your visit continues at the gladiator museum, where you will also learn more about Spartacus who was sold to combat here as gladiator, then escaped to lead what became the Third Servile War (73 AD). Your last stop in Capua is the ancient Mithraic temple (2nd century AD), one of the most important of its kind. The frescoes - showing for example Mithras killing the bull - are particularly well preserved.
After this excursion into the Ancient Roman era, it’ll be lunch time - which you can enjoy at a traditional restaurant.
In the afternoon, your tour continues at the Royal Palace of Caserta, often likened to Versailles for its elegant opulence. The palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site, was built by architect Luigi Vanvitelli and his son Carlo.
The palace not only was a residence for the Bourbon kings of Naples, but also held a university, ministries, a public library, the magistracy, a sumptuous theater, a seminary, and a cathedral church. The sheer beauty of building and park have made it a favourite destination.
Day Tour Price 1 to 4 participants: 650.00 €
Day Tour Price 5 to 7 participants: 750.00 €