The tour starts at 11:30 am every saturday all year and with visit in English or Italian.
Tours start in front of our Information Point located in Piazza Castello/via Garibaldi. The meeting point is 20 minutes before.
Guided visit to the Egyptian museum, the second more important in the world after the Cairo's Museum; entrance ticket not included
Tour can be book until 3 days before the visit, for maximum 6 people
Visit is a group guided tour with maximum 25 persons
Cancellations can be accepted until 3 days before the tour; further cancellations cannot be refunded
Guided visit to the Egyptian Museum
The Egyptian Museum of Turin (the second largest in the world after the Cairo Museum) was established in 1824, although the University of Turin already owned an important collection of Egyptian material before this date. In the early 19th century, Carlo Felice, influenced by the interest in Egyptian culture which had been spreading all over Europe following Napoleon's campaigns in Egypt, acquired a substantial number of the finds collected by the Piedmontese Bernardino Drovetti, French consul general in Egypt. Between 1903 and 1920 the Italian Archaeological Mission launched a number of excavation campaigns along the Nile, thus acquiring additional material. New pieces were also added to the museum between 1930 and 1969. In 1988 the museum was entirely renovated.
The Most Important Items
The Drovetti Collection, which forms the original nucleus of the Egyptian Museum, includes 98 statues, as well as an extraordinary collection of papyri which can be considered as the most important set of Egyptian written documents in the world.
Highlights of the collection include:
The Royal Papyrus, also known as the Papyrus of Turin, with the list of all the kings from 3,000 to 1,600 BC. The extraordinarily rich linen cloth, discovered in 1930 in a pre-historical and unplundered tomb at Gebelein. The linen pieces are the most ancient painted in the world (between 4,300 and 3,500 BC). They depict boats, hunting scenes, and ritual dances.
The Ellesija Temple from Nubia dates back to more than 3,500 years ago, and was presented by the Egyptian government to Italy following the works carried out by the Italian mission in removing monuments and temples from the area of the Assuan Dike. In order to be transported to Italy, it was extracted and then reconstructed in the museum.
The Tomb of Kha, discovered in 1906 during the excavation campaign carried out by the Italian archaeological mission in Deir-el-Medina, is the most impressive and remarkable ensemble of the whole museum. Dating back to 3,500 BC, it houses sarcophagi and statues, as well as furniture, garments and grooming items.