Visit the most precious and beautiful sites of Siena - with the "Acropolis PLUS" combo ticket which includes:
1 - access to the monumental complex of the Cathedral of Siena (with the Piccolomini Library), the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (the Cathedral Museum), the panorama from the “Facciatone” terrace of the Cathedral, the crypt, the baptistery and the oratory of San Bernardino (the latter only from March 1 to October 31)
2 - access to the museum complex Santa Maria della Scala, the ancient hospital of Siena facing the Cathedral
3 - the “Gate of Heaven” tour (an accompanied walk - NOT a guided tour - around the dome, to the stained glass windows and balconies and vaulted ceiling of the cathedral, from June through October only)
> The "Acropolis PLUS" ticket has a validity of 3 days from the day of pick up of the ticket without time constraints except for the “Gate of Heaven” tour. Booking the start time for the “Gate of Heaven” tour is obligatory.
> Reservations must be made at least 2 days in advance.
> Our ticket pricing system automatically adjusts to the number of places that can be visited with the Acropolis PLUS ticket.
> The OPENING HOURS of the various places are listed in the "Details" section.
"Acropolis PLUS" Combo Ticket Details:
The ticket “Acropolis PLUS” includes admission to the following Siena monuments and attractions:
The Siena Cathedral Complex, including:
- The Duomo (Cathedral) is one of the most beautiful churches of Christianity. The Siena Cathedral hosts great artistic treasures: statues by Michelangelo, Donatello, Bernini, the pulpit by Nicola Pisano - masterpiece of medieval sculpture - the splendid atmosphere of the Piccolomini Library, with frescoes by Pinturicchio and the rich mosaic marble floor, "the most beautiful ever made" as Vasari wrote in 1568.
- The Baptistery of St. John is a splendid Baptismal Font. One of the highest expressions of Renaissance sculpture, it was created by Jacopo della Quercia, Donatello and Lorenzo Ghiberti.
- The Crypt. Hidden for over seven centuries, the Crypt was accidentally rediscovered during excavations in 1999. An extraordinary pictorial cycle from the 13th century will surprise you with vibrant original colors.
- The Museo dell'Opera. Admire some of the most captivating treasures of Italian art, including the famous Majesty by Duccio di Buoninsegna - the largest altarpiece ever made - the delicate Golden Rose by Bernini, the Madonna with the Child by Donatello, and the moving crucifix by Pisano.
- The panoramic terrace of the Duomo Nuovo. Enjoy beautiful and fascinating views of Siena and the Tuscan countryside. The panoramic terrace of the Duomo Nuovo is definitely the place for your Siena photo shoot!
- The San Bernardino Oratory in the Piazza San Francesco is an extraordinary example of 16th century Siena, thanks to its perfect preservation. Please note: the oratory is open only from March 31 to October 31.
- Beneath the Siena Cathedral: ‘Paths of Light’ (Included from June through October): A guided tour through the tunnels under the Cathedral of Siena, followed by an immersive video-mapping performance in 3D that illustrates the history of Siena and its people, and how this great little city gives light to such amazing works of art and architecture. From the Middle Ages to the present day, the video-mapping experience traces the "leitmotif" of the performance - the hope for a rebirth through Wisdom inspiring Justice and leading to Concord. Everyday life and the craftsmen's workshops of yesterday and today are revealed through the voices of the people themselves, accompanied by music and bell-ringing. Available languages: Italian, English, French and Spanish.
2) The complex of Santa Maria della Scala:
More than a thousand years history of hospitality and healthcare have conferred a strategic position in Siena to the Santa Maria Maria della Scala. It rises in front of the Cathedral, and with more than 20,000 square meters over four levels the Santa Maria della Scala Museum Complex offers a cultural experience that goes beyond a classical museum visit.
Experience the artistic heritage of Siena by visiting the Pilgrims' Hall, the Chapel of the Mantle, the Old Sacristy, the Chapel of Our Lady, the Church of the Santissima Annunziata, the Archaeological Museum housed in the striking underground galleries, the Art Museum for Children, the Center of Contemporary Art, and the Giuliano Briganti Library and Photo Library of Art.
3) The Gate of Heaven Tour:
The magnificent facade of the Duomo, as the Cathedral is called, is flanked by two majestic towers ending in many spire-like forms that shoot upwards. Inside these towers, practically invisible to visitors, winding staircases lead up to the ‘heavens’ of the Cathedral.
This itinerary reserved for small groups accompanied by security personnel (not a guided tour) begins above the starry vault of the right aisle. You will indeed walk above the church and experience unusual points of view both inside and outside of the Cathedral.
The image of the “gate of heaven” refers to Genesis 28:10-22. In this bible chapter, a ladder appears to Jacob in his dream, a ladder that reaches heaven, with the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
In his dream, God promises Jacob the earth on which he has slept and an immense lineage. When he rises, Jacob exclaims “This is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven,” a verse used by the liturgy of the catholic mass in dedicating cathedrals. In the litany of Loreto, the ‘gate of heaven’ also refers to the Virgin Mary as the Mother of Christ and of humanity, she is the ‘Queen assumed into Heaven.’
The Gate of Heaven itinerary will give you a different understanding of the dedication of the Cathedral of Siena to the Assumption of the Madonna, and the strong connection the people of Siena have had with the Virgin Mary for centuries – a connection reflected in the Siennese motto “Sena vetus civitas Virginis” (“Siena, ancient city of the Virgin”).
IMPORTANT GUIDELINES FOR VISITORS TO THE ROOF STRUCTURE
- Shoes: For safety reasons, the wearing of high-heeled shoes is STRONGLY discouraged. Visitors are advised to wear close-toed shoes with anti-slip soles (no slippers, thongs, sandals, clogs, or footwear with leather soles).
- Caution – mind your head: Visitors are asked to pay the utmost attention to the height of ceilings and passageways.
- Heights: The tour is not recommended for people suffering from heart conditions or dizziness, and anyone not in a suitable state of health to climb up to and visit the rooftop structures.
- Visitors are advised to carry cameras, mobile phones, eyeglasses etc. on a shoulder strap or tied to the wrist in order to avoid accidental falls.
- Children: Children must be held by the hand and kept under control at any time.
- Fire: Smoking is prohibited in all areas, inside the building as well as outside and at lookouts.
- Entrance/exit: Visitors are informed that for safety reasons, stopping at the winding staircase in the entrance/exit area is permitted only for the time strictly necessary to deposit or claim umbrellas (other personal effects cannot be deposited).
- Depositing personal belongings: Visitors carrying backpacks or large bulky bags will not be admitted. Visitors are advised that personal effects cannot be deposited in the OPA Museum Complex.
- Visitors displaying behavior that is illegitimate, illicit, harmful, or is dangerous for themselves and for other people present, such as failure to comply with the safety indications given at the time of booking and/or during the visit, will be asked to leave and have no right to reimbursement.
FOR ALL PLACES:
Last admission half an hour before the closing time of the museums.
Hours may vary due to religious celebrations.
HOURS all sites included in your "Acropoli PLUS" Combo Ticket:
CATHEDRAL OPENING HOURS:
- March 1 - November 1: 10:30 am - 7:00 pm / Sundays, public holidays: 1:30 pm - 6:00 pm / Eve of public holidays: 10:30 am - 6:00 pm
- November 2 - February 28 (but not 26 December – 8 January): 10:30 am - 5:30 pm / Sundays, public holidays: 1:30 am - 5:30 pm / Eve of public holidays: 10:30 am - 5:30 pm
- December 26 - January 8: 10:30 am - 6:00 pm / Sundays, public holidays: 1:30 am - 5:30 pm / Eve of public holidays: 10:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Cathedral: Sunday opening hours (March only): 1:30 am - 5:30 pm
CATHEDRAL MARBLE INLAY FLOOR OPENING HOURS:
The marble floor is uncovered from the middle of August until end of October:
- weekdays: 10:30 am - 7:00 pm
- Sundays: 9:30 am - 6:00 pm
Opening Hours Piccolomini Library - Baptistery - Crypt - Museum:
- March 1 - November 1:10:30 am - 7:00 pm
- November 2 - February 28: 10:30 am - 5:30 pm
- December 26 - January 8: 10:30 am - 6:00 pm
Opening Hours Oratorio San Bernardino:
- March 1 - October 31: from 1:30 pm to 7:00 pm (last admission bookable at 6:30 pm)
- July 2 and August 16: from 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm (last admission bookable at 4:00 pm)
Under the Cathedral of Siena: "Paths of Light":
>> Only from June 22 to October 31: 11:00 am - 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm - 5:30 pm
For all sites:
> Last admission half an hour before closing.
> Times could be subject to changes due to religious celebrations.
OPENING HOURS SANTA MARIA DELLA SCALA:
- From March 15 to October 15:
- Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Friday 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- From October 16 to March 14 (except period from December 23 to January 6):
- Monday/Wednesday/Thursday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Friday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Tuesday: Closed
- From December 23 to January 6:
- Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Friday 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
Closed: December 25, October 16, March 14, and Tuesdays (except in the period between December 23 and January 6)
Before You Book
PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after submitting an order, you will receive two emails. The first email contains your order summary (this one you receive immediately after placing your order), the second email confirms your successful payment (one business day after placing the order). In order to receive these two emails, please make sure that you enter your email address correctly and check that antispam or antivirus filters do not block emails from our [email protected] address. Users of AOL, Comcast and Sbcglobal.net need to pay special attention to this, please. Vouchers will also be available, one business day after the request, at your dashboard.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The time you select on the order form is your preferred time. The closest available time, which can be anytime during opening hours on the selected date, will be automatically confirmed if your preferred time is no longer available.
Once a confirmation code has been assigned to your reservation, we can refund the cost of unused tickets, also for no-shows, minus a service fee (reservation fee and online booking fee).