Follow your guide Maya - blogger and expert on medieval cuisine - and a joyful and lively tour guide in love with the city of Verona.
She created this tour inspired by her discovery that the origins of “Pastissada”, the traditional horsemeat stew of Verona, can be traced to the battle between King Odoacer (the first barbarian King of Italy) and Emperor Theodoric in 489 AD.
Your tour is a treasure hunt - together with Maya, you’ll reconstruct the historical facts from the artistic evidence hidden in the city. Participants are encouraged to document the hunt with photos and videos (and publish them in real time).
You’ll be amazed how much detail can be found when you know how to look - and how many legends are passed among chefs and sommeliers in the city of Verona.
Of course, your treasure hunt culminates with a meal - including as taste of the “Pastissada” accompanied by fine local wine.
Perfect for: people of all ages, fans of Verona and her story, of ancient and traditional recipes and local wines, photography lovers.
Don’t forget to take your smartphone and also the GoPro for video shots and real-time posts!
Meeting place: Antica Bottiglieria Baraldi, Piazza Corrubbio 30, VERONA - (VENETO)
How we move: on foot
- 9:00 am to 3:00 pm or
- 3:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Duration: 6 hours
> Reservations must be made at least 3 days in advance.
- Up to 30 days before the booked visit, 60% refund
- From 29 to 20 days before, 50% refund
- From 19 to 14 days before, 40% refund
- From 13 to 5 days before, 15% refund
- For cancellations less than 5 days before the booked visit and for no-shows, no refund will be granted.
Save time ordering: Add all the service tickets you want into your basket, then fill in the form and send your request.
PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after submitting an order, you will receive an email with your order summary plus a second email confirming your successful payment. A confirmation email with links to the vouchers will be sent one business day after you place your order (Monday afternoon for orders submitted on Friday and during the weekend). Please make sure that your anti-spam filter does not block automatic emails from [email protected]
- Meet your local guide Maya at the Antica Bottiglieria Baraldi. Then, your treasure hunt for “Pastissada” clues begins - along the main streets and monuments of Verona
- Guided visit of the outside of the Basilica of San Zeno
- Walking, picture-taking, instant-blogging along Lung'Adige Rigaste San Zeno and then in Piazza Bra in front of Arena di Verona
- An exclusive visit of the ancient city walls of Gallienus / Theodoric the Great at the Institute Figlie di Gesu'
- Time for a break at a historic wine shop of Verona with tasting of “Amarone”, a prized sweet wine connected to the “Pastissada” recipe. The sommelier will entertain you with a related story
- The treasure hunt continues with photo taking and instant comments on the blog, in Piazza delle Erbe, Piazza dei Signori, Via Sottoriva (baths of Theodoric), Lung'Adige Ponte Pietra, Church of San Giovanni in Valle
- Culmination of the tour at the Restaurant “Al Ropeton” where the story will be completed and you can taste a “Pastissada”-based meal as well as other local enogastronomic specialties, while the chef explains the steps for preparing the famous dish.
Price per person, minimum group size 12 persons:
Please note: Service can be scheduled for less than 12 persons, however, final price will still be calculated on the basis of 12 participants at the price of € 132.00/person.