Info & Booking
Grandma Dina's grandchildren are preparing a big party to celebrate her 110th birthday with a family reunion, inviting relatives from the four corners of the world. She's famous all over Genoa for her superb basil pesto, but being a good-humoured riddle enthusiast, left but a handful of clues – and it is up to her descendants to reassemble the sweet-scented recipe.
Perfect for: lovers of Italian cuisine interested in living a "Genovese for a day" experience among traditions and ancient local lore.
Meeting place: Via XX Settembre 65 R in front of
Bar Zena Zuena (Genoa)
How we move: on foot
- 9:00 am - 2:45 pm or
- 3:00 pm - 8:45 pm
Duration: 5 hours and 45 minutes
Languages: English and Italian
The price includes:
- Welcome drink in local Bar Focacceria
- Hunt for clues in Genoa, visit to the Mercato Orientale
- Selection of utensils in historic shop
- Wine matching in renowned wine shop
- Show cooking demo and hands-on cooking lesson (how to make Genoese pesto)
- Final meal in ancient Osteria to celebrate your success
- Final toast with group picture
- Copy of the Pesto recipe
The price does not include: Anything not specifically mentioned above
- Reservations must be made at least 2 weeks in advance; reservation subject to reconfirmation
- Children under 12 can take part only if accompanied by an adult
- Please point out any allergies and/or food intolerance during the booking phase
- The traditional Genovese Pesto is NOT a vegan food.
Up to 30 days before the booked visit, 60% refund From 29 to 20 days before, 50% refund From 19 to 14 days before, 40% refund From 13 to 5 days before, 15% refund For cancellations less than 5 days before the booked visit and for no-shows, no refund will be granted.
Before You Book
PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after submitting an order, you will receive two emails. The first email contains your order summary (this one you receive immediately after placing your order), the second email confirms your successful payment (one business day after placing the order). In order to receive these two emails, please make sure that you enter your email address correctly and check that antispam or antivirus filters do not block emails from our [email protected] address. Users of AOL, Comcast and Sbcglobal.net need to pay special attention to this, please. Vouchers will also be available, one business day after the request, at your dashboard.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The time you select on the order form is your preferred time. The closest available time, which can be anytime during opening hours on the selected date, will be automatically confirmed if your preferred time is no longer available.
- Meet Luisa at Zena Zuena, bar focacceria
- Start hunting for clues at the Mercato Orientale and find the ingredients for authentic pesto
- Walk along the streets of the ancient Sestiere di San Vincenzo and search its historical shops to discover the secrets of the mortar and pestle (selection of best utensils)
- Experience the best pesto and matching wine in a renowned wine shop
- After a short walk, enjoy tastings, cooking demo and hands-on cooking lesson (how to make traditional Genovese pesto) at the Pesto Corner to compose the correct recipe
- Succeed in your endeavour and celebrate in a nearby ancient Osteria– enjoy your meal!
- Final toast and group picture
- Delivery of the reassembled pesto recipe, signed by participants