If you are fascinated by the archeology, curious to know non familiar, mysterious and magic things, or simply travelers eager to be fascinated and disoriented… we suggest you to choose one of the itineraries suggested by The undergrounds of Rome. We’ll make you fall in love with another dimension of the Capital, complex and profound, made of remains which, by the strength of a history still alive, hold the weight of modern civilization. A journey trough time in a real parallel city, which spreads over kilometers, with beauties and monuments which have nothing to envy those note in the “emerged city”!
Itineraries available (please let us know your choice by email after booking):
- The Catacombs of Priscilla and Agnes - Discover with us the labyrinthine catacombs along the ancient Via Salaria, today the best preserved evidence of the funeral customs of the past. Catacombs of Priscilla (8.00 € for the entrance), Catacombs of St. Agnes (8.00 € for the entrance)
- The underground of Churches 1. Underground of the Church of San Clemente (5.00 € for the entrance), the Underground Church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo al Celio (5.00 € for the entrance)
- The underground of Churches 2. Underground Church of San Grisogono (2,00 € for the entrance), the Underground Church of Santa Cecilia (3,00 € for the entrance)
Available every day at 10am.
Meeting Point: Your hotel in Rome.
Duration: 3 hours and a half.
Tour price includes:
- Official guide and/or tour escort
- Languages: English. Italian, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese and Russian
Not included in tour price: entrance tickets, transportation, souvenirs, personal extras, tips.
There will be no penalty for cancellations of excursion bookings communicated in writing at least three (3) days prior to the booked excursion date. No refund for further cancellations and no shows.
Save time ordering: Add all the service tickets you want into your basket, then fill in the form and send your request.
PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after submitting an order, you will receive an email with your order summary plus a second email confirming your successful payment. A confirmation email with links to the vouchers will be sent one business day after you place your order (Monday afternoon for orders submitted on Friday and during the weekend). Please make sure that your anti-spam filter does not block automatic emails from [email protected]
Official guide and/or tour escort
The Undergrounds of Rome
Take a peek at the rich world below the Rome you see today. Are you fascinated by archeology, curious to know the unfamiliar? Attracted to mystery and magic? Follow us on one of our Undergrounds of Rome tours. You’ll fall in love with another dimension of the capital as you travel under the surface and back in time in this “parallel city” that spreads over kilometers. Discover Rome’s underground beauties and monuments - they do not fear comparison with those above ground!
Choose among the following Itineraries – and let us know your choice by email after booking:
- The Catacombs of Priscilla and Agnes - Discover the labyrinthine catacombs along the ancient Via Salaria, today the best preserved evidence of the funeral customs of the past. Catacombs of Priscilla (€8.00 admission), Catacombs of Saint Agnes (€8.00 admission)
- The Undergrounds of Churches 1 – Visit the undergrounds of the primitive church of San Clemente (€5.00 admission), which dates back to the second half of the fourth century. It was modified from an existing Roman house or domus from the third century, which in turn sprang up slowly from an even earlier structure. The underground church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo al Celio (€5.00 admission), named for the Christian soldiers who were martyred on this site in 362, is another example of the astonishing amount of historical and archaeological evidence buried in the depths of Rome.
- The Undergrounds of Churches 2 – See the underground church of San Grisogono (€2.00 admission), one of the oldest churches in Rome. The first church was built in the fourth century, under Pope Sylvester I (314-335), the remains of this first church were discovered in archaeological excavations of 1907 and in subsequent excavations. The itinerary also includes a visit to the underground church of Santa Cecilia (€3.00 admission), probably founded in the third century, by Pope Urban I. Legend holds that the church was built over the house of the Roman martyr Cecilia.
Once a confirmation code has been assigned to your reservation, we can refund the cost minus a service fee (reservation fee and online booking fee) for cancellations up to 3 business days before the event. Cancellations less than one week before your booked event and no-shows are not refundable.
Full: 216.9, Fare applied whenever no reduction may be applied