Discover, at a special price, the history of one of the first institutes in the world for abandoned children and the wonderful works of art contained in it, starting from the elegant building in Pietra Serena designed by Filippo Brunelleschi.
Access the museum between 5:00 pm and 6.30 pm. Pick up your own video guide, available in Italian, English, French and Spanish, with an adult or children's itinerary to choose from.
The museum closes at 7:00 pm.
Reservations must be made at least 1 day in advance.
Cancellation Policy: Once a confirmation code has been assigned to your reservation, we can refund the cost of unused tickets, also for no-shows, minus a service fee (reservation fee and online booking fee).
Museum of the Innocenti ’Happy Hour’ | Weekend in Italy
The Museum of the Innocents
The museum itinerary is developed around the theme of hospitality and introduces visitors to the essence of the Institute in its six centuries of activity, integrating the documentary and archival heritage with historical art.
The uniqueness of the Museum of the Innocents lies precisely in the fact that it has been a place for research combining art, architecture, and the history of childhood while at the same time telling about six centuries of commitment to the protection and promotion of the rights of children.
The new Museum of the Innocenti offers 1,456 sq m of exhibition spaces on three levels and 1,655 sq m for temporary events and educational activities, a cultural offering linked to the theme of childhood.
The basement tells the story of the evolution of the Institute of the Innocents through biographies and personal memories of the orphans, the "Nocenti" - as the children who were housed in the structure were called.
On the ground floor, the architectural itinerary tells the evolution of the old hospital, reconstructing the subsequent renovations of the edifice and how the function of the Institute also evolved, adapting the spaces to the needs of hospitality.
The second floor, above the façade porch, houses the gallery with some precious Renaissance works of art. Open to the public in 1971, it gathers about fifty works, mostly pictorial, but also some furnishings and two marble busts, as well as eight antiphonaries (liturgical books) from the 14th and 15th century.
The works exhibited are all owned by the Institute and are part of the artistic patrimony formed over the centuries by direct commission, through legacies, or through patronage. The gallery is located in the room above the portico of the façade which, in the Brunelleschi project, was destined to be "the children's dwelling."
Among the works exhibited, we highlight the splendid Adoration of the Magi (1488) by Domenico Ghirlandaio, commissioned for the church's high altar; The Madonna and Child (about 1450) by Luca della Robbia; The Madonna enthroned with the Child and Saints (1493), among the masterpieces by Piero di Cosimo created for a side altar of the church; a Madonna and Child by Sandro Botticelli created as a copy of the most famous painting by his master Filippo Lippi; and a delicate plate with the Coronation of the Virgin by the Master of the Strauss Madonna (about 1405).
Once a confirmation code has been assigned to your reservation, we can refund the cost of unused tickets, also for no-shows, minus a service fee (reservation fee and online booking fee).